Thursday, February 19, 2009

New Goal: More Eyerolls!

So last night Ara and I are talking about his parenting tactics. He spent hours home with Jake yesterday and took full advantage of lecture time. He used his essay assignment as a platform and they researched and talked about the cost of raising a baby on an entry level job. Apparently that is Ara's main concern...that someone ends up with a baby. In all of this Jake lets it slip that gf is on the pill 'to regulate her period'. hmmm. I won't even go there. Later in the evening I hear him talking to gf that if both of them get jobs paying x amount and work x amount of hours then they could have $54,000 saved up in a year. Apparently I am still paying for food, roof over head, gas and insurance (Not...well maybe the roof and some food). I think Ara's tactic of running numbers backfired. Back to our parenting discussion....He then tells me that he asked Andi if it sounded reasonable that a gf/bf parent call to say they will be home and your child allowed over. He was excited to know that Andi thought this was perfectly reasonable. I, with furrowed brows, questioned that he was consulting his 13 yo for advise versus his 38 yo dw.

Cole and Ara are hitting the paint ball place this weekend. It was the only incentive to get Cole out of bed at 8:30 a.m. to get his IQ tested that day. The doc said he would be able to tell within minutes of testing if Cole has ADHD. Either were testing his frustration tolerance, which is low, or his IQ. He's probably a genius. You know how it feels to be surrounded by idiots--that Cole's life in a nutshell--born into a family of neurotic idiots with insane rules and quirks.

My day began fully armed with a can of Lysol. Jake headed to school today and I sprayed down his entire room with disinfectant, and washed all his bedding. Since his fever ended with explosive diarrhea were not taking any chances. After killing all the germs, I looked down at the carpet....I had thrown confetti on the boys the other day when they were in some video game coma. By threw confetti I mean violently trying to open the hole puncher in a fit of rage. For some reason teens are required to have a hole punch in school these days. I think that is a bit overboard, but I would have to join PTA to get my voice heard. And we know I'm not doing that. Vacuuming turned into dusting. Which turned into an event to get under Andi's skin. I grabbed a sock from the lonely sock bin in the laundry closet, put it on my hand and in my best sock puppet voice said, "Hi, Andi I'm going to dust today!". Parenting teens requires at least one eye roll from some kid a day...otherwise you're not doing something right.

No comments: