Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Small Miracles

Jake had a fever that spiked to 103.6 yesterday. We hit it heavy with our arsenal of Tylenol and Advil. Anyone approaching 40 has these lifesavers on her nightstand along with the a giant bottle of tums. It just goes with the territory. Tomorrow was the day to hit urgent care since his fevers started on Sunday. I wasn't too worried because they were sitting at 100-101. Plus I was loving that he was laughing at all my dorky comments and told me he loved me. Even though I knew it was the fever talking. What mom doesn't love her mysterious almost 17 yo to be so nice. Believe me I sucked up every minute of niceness I could get. Actually he is my nice kid. Heaven help us if one of the other two get sick. This morning his temp was 99. Ara is home with him today, and when I called to check Jake is still 99.

By some odd occurrence our dear insomniac was showered and in bed by 8:30 last night. It was 8:45 before the shock of that wore off and Ara and I turned and looked at each other and said, "Is Cole in bed?". That sent us into a spiral of loud whispers to kick out the neighbor boy visiting the sick one and announce lights out. We take advantage of every opportunity to get to bed early if Cole is out early.

For some reason my dh thinks the best plan of attack to deter Jake from sex and drugs is to have him write a paper on each topic. For obvious reasons I don't thinks that going to work. "Oh I'm sorry pressuring peer, I just wrote and essay on teenage sex and I don't think it's a good idea to get naked. We could end up with STD's or a baby!" or "No thanks, I don't want a cigarette. We could burn the woods down or worse yet end up with a live long addiction." Maybe if I still had the strings on my marionette version of a son that would happen. I'm more for open discussions and maybe sharing research, but writing an essay????

2 comments:

Mom of Three said...

yeah... the esay not going to work. Ara is a boy and he should know better. I say go all Jonas Brother's and buy all your kids purity rings and start a band... Or if that wont fly and their not too musical or pure, just keep it honest on the info, but throw in some scare tactics... Teens will do what they want in the end, and will always find a way, so encourage the safety, and pray.

The Letteer Family said...

Wow! That's so awesome his fever went down and so quickly! 103.6...scary! That's great Cole was able to fall asleep so early too.