Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Laundry Slime

On Sat night I got around to making my liquid laundry goo. I've seen it all over the Internet. It's on dollar stretcher http://www.stretcher.com/ buried in the archives. The directions below were posted on tip hero on the Internet:
I make a liquid laundry soap that costs me about a penny a load and it cleans my clothes just as well as any I used to purchase. Here it is: one bar of cheap (cheaper the better) bath soap, 1 cup washing soda (I use Arm & Hammer), 1/2 cup Borax, 3 to 4 gals hot water. Chop/grate the bath soap into a medium sized pot. Add about 3 cups hot water and bring to a simmer (be careful as it will boil over easily) on the stove. After the soap has melted, add washing soda and borax - mix to dissolve. Pour into a 5 gallon bucket and add 3 gallons of hot water. Mix well and let sit over night. In the morning you will have a bucket of slime. I use one laundry scoop (saved from my days of purchased laundry soap) per load. Each box of washing soda and borax will make numerous batches of laundry soap. I also have a large amount of soaps from hotels and I use 4 of these in place of one bar of bath soap Posted by rulerof5 on February 15, 2009 11:48 PM
I used a bar of tropical scented dial. We weren't too acurate with water measurement..Ara just filled the bucket in the tub and then set it on top of the dryer. Washing soda is different then baking soda and somewhat hard to find. It is sodium carbonate, baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Sodium carbonate is the main ingredient in dishwasher detergent. So I also added borax and washing soda to my dishwasher detergent to stretch it further. Everything is sparkly and not a single water spot thanks to the borax. The clothes are coming out clean, although the grass stains on Cole's stuff didn't budge, but they never do. And everything is extremely soft. It's still static clingy right out of the dryer---homemade liquid fabric softener is next.

frugal quote: It's easy to live large while work is plentiful and checks turn up in the mail on a regular basis. But living frugally, even in the good times, is the key to surviving the dry spells that may eventually arrive. Barbara Frank

2 comments:

Mom of Three said...

I want to try this. I only feel my kids or myself will knock over the bucket and have slime all over the house.....

Veronica said...

Too true. I got one with a lid and it sits on top of the dryer. Andrea almost ate the shredded soap that I left in a bowl on the table. She thought it was cheese.