Sunday, February 22, 2009

Butter Churns and Spaghetti Pie

I found the below recipe in my Cheaper & Better book by Nancy Birnes (which I found at the library for 50 cents)
Country Butter
Here is a clever way to stetch margarine, while at the same time softening and enriching its flavor a bit. My mother tells me that this was one of the many ways people made do with butter during World War II.
1 pound margarine, softened
1 cup corn oil
1 cup buttermilk
Whip ingredients together in food processor or with an electric mixer. Stored in tightly covered container in the refrigerator, this spread will keep for 1 month.
I use canola oil instead of corn oil, and 4 T powdered buttermilk blend with a cup of water instead of fresh. I never have fresh buttermilk in the house. Powdered buttermilk is usually found in baking isle with the canned milk. I saved my 3 pound tub from the last time I bought margarine and this recipe fills it up to the top. I have made it three times already...we have a lot of toast eaters. I think it tastes real close to I can't believe it's not butter and I can control the oil types.
For lunch I transformed spaghetti into a lasagna type pie. We had leftover spaghetti with sauce already on it...so I put it in the bottom of a 9x12. I mixed a container of cottage cheese, a capful of parmesan cheese, a fistful of mozerella and two eggs together and spread it on top, sprinkled more cheese on top and then threw in a 350 oven until lightly browned and bubbly. It was a big hit.

Yesterday we bought a xbox 360 for the family. I personally wanted a Wii. The xbox is not so bad. The boys pooled their money and got a 1 year live gold card and we can also download movies from netflix on it with their gold card. So it's a game, dvd player and netflixs movie thingamajiggy.

We have watched 4 out of six movies this weekend and so far only one was worth the time. I am 17 seconds from snapping Ara's neck in two. It's just one of those days where he is antsy and inconsiderate all at once. Nothing gets under my skin more that him asking me a question and then saying "Huh" when I answer it. He's done that about 8 times today. Don't talk to me if your not going to listen back. Sometimes I think he just needs to fill up the space with his voice. He is trying to be helpful though and for that I am thankful. Without him my kitchen would be a wreck since he has taken over the dishwasher duties and right now he is making lunches for school tomorrow. And yesterday out of nowhere he cleaned the litterbox and emptied the trash upstairs (but there are still no bags in the empty cans).

2 comments:

The Letteer Family said...

I'll have to try those recipes! I've never heard of a gold card with netflix. That's cool you can use it with your XBOX as well though. Netflix is so awesome! Which movie did you like? We're big movie buffs. We love them! That's awesome Ara is helping out so much. Nothing says I love you more, to me, than helping out around the house.

Veronica said...

It's not a gold card with Netflix, but the gold membership with Xbox live. Didn't mean to be so confusing.