Thursday, December 1, 2011

Kitchen Journal

One of the things I've wanted to do for the last 20 years (wow--I have been a homemaker for 20+ years) is to keep a kitchen journal, but with little and then big feet underfoot and re-entering the work world I never got around to it.  Grocery prices are killing our budget...we discovered after tracking everything recently that were $300 short (or overspent) every month.  So time to strap on the apron and tighten the purse strings...the frugalista in me is in overtime.
We recently have been  playing the grocery game, this afforded us to pick up a lot of convenience things that we never used to get.  If I had a coupon and it was on sale it went in the cart.  It was great fun.  Especially with cooking challenged teens and husband.  But we were shopping every weekend because junk food goes quick.  Then a month ago we migrated back to shopping every two weeks and now we are trying shopping once a month. emphasize the trying. 
Today's bargain....16 pound bag of cat food for $9.09, Tilapia for $2.48 a pound (that's cheaper than ground beef) and 3 pounds of apples for $1.48.  But shopping day isn't until next weekend.  So score for the bargains, boo on having to make a trip to the store for cat food before shopping day.  And I had to strap on some courage and enter Bottom Dollar in the questionable neighborhood.
Menu until next shopping day: (dinner main dishes only)
Spaghetti
Pepperoni Pizza - homemade of course
Salmon Patties and Mashed Sweet Potatoes - oops forgot them on Thanksgiving
Chicken Enchiladas
White Chili
Quiche - may have to scratch that since I boiled eggs for kid snacks today
Ham and Bean Soup with cornbread
Cheesy Tuna Pasta
Chili
Biscuits and Gravy

No comments: