On Sat. I went to a funeral with a friend. I'm not big on funerals but she really needed a friend so I went. I think it helped being a little bit detached from the deceased. I only knew him a short while as a patient at the dialysis center. I don't have a lot of direct contact with the patients, maybe a quick hello or a smile from across the room. It was an absolutely beautiful funeral. The choir was full of energy and there was always music playing. The pastors sermon was very moving. I've never actually been in a black southern baptist church and it's just like you imagine. It would wind up and down and the people were jumping up with Amens and Preach It waving their arms. It was neat. One of the things that was really touching was at a point in the ceremony one of the grandsons read letters and cards that had been written to the family. There was a letter from the police station, other community members, friends, his great granddaughter, the church Sunday school, the church building committee, the elders, and the last letter was one he had written himself the last time he was hospitalized. It brought tears to my eyes because it was so heartfelt and sincere. I'm grateful that my friend needed me and that I had this experience. I came away with a new understanding on family and death and life. His funeral was a celebration of his life. I would encourage everyone to write their letter to their kids.
1 comment:
AMEN!!
Post a Comment